Among all the places I visited in Porto Novo, SONGHAI FARM was the only place that wow me more than my expectations. Like seriously, I was surprised to see this magnificent farm. Should I call it a farm or production house? Because I think most of the production that is being consumed by the people is manufactured by this farm.
SONGHAI FARM was founded by father Godfrey Nzamujo in October 1985 in Porto Novo.
This farming method emphasizes protecting the natural resources and the environment and they are divided into different sectors; Primary Sectors, Production Sector and Mechanization sector which they all integrate in producing fish, agricultural crops/plants, raising livestock and producing energy.
It takes me 2hr plus to explore this farm around and it was amazing. My tour guide was good at explaining but you have to put your ear down to understand him very well. In fact we got to a point where we have to rest before we continue the exploring.
These farm has different production house like
1. The pottery for making files and filters
2. Palm oil mill for oil production
3. Rice mill vitamin B and fibre
4. Soya bean oil and use the cake to feed the animals.
5. Poultry farm for training Quails, Chickens, Turkey, Docks and pigeons. My tour guide told me that Quail eggs can cure 400 diseases, that is if you take it for 3 days both morning and evening and also it works for weak erections.
6. Yoghurt Production
7. Plastic Production
8. Nursery – place where plants are grown for transplanting, for use as stock for budding and grafting, or for sale.
9. Small forestry for rearing bee for Honey Production
10. Okra Farm
11. Paw Paw trees including 1metre pawpaw tree
12. Manure Tree for compost house
13. Carrot Crop
14. GreenHouse Effect – The effect of this is to warm the Earth’s surface and the lower atmosphere.
15. Fish Feed pellet Production.
16. Fruit Soap production
These are the productions that you can find in Songhai farm. Each of this production has its own explanation and process. They also have schools where they train students to become good farmers. The school has student hostesses and many more.
They also have a good lodge for visitors, very affordable.
Lastly, My tour guide showed me a store where they sell farm machinery tools for farm mechanization. They also have Restaurant and also a Songhai farm supermarket.
It was really amazing exploring this wonderful farm and having the full experience.
Anytime you think of Porto Novo for vacation, please do not forget to explore Songhai Farm. It’s a home of wonderful experiences.
I’m Dennis Chukwuebuka Okeke AKA Onye-njem one of AFRICA your number one celebrity Tourist in Africa.